Saturday, November 10, 2007

A death in the family

I feel awful. The squirrel that Shannon has been hand feeding died. I was supposed to take care of it today while Shannon was working. I was still a little groggy when she was leaving for work. I couldn’t remember if she said to feed it at 1 and 6. Around noon I decided to go check on the squirrel. I had a little trouble finding him. He was on the bare heating pad. I was afraid that he had been burned, but he was not. He was lethargic, his ribs were showing and his skin was flaccid. I gave him a little formula anyway. To keep a closer check on him, I brought him to my room. I fed him an hour later and he took a little then. The next time I tried to feed him, he was gone.

Shannon was so successful with the first squirrel. I feel like I may have let her down. I should have called her before she got to work. Then I would have at least known for sure the last time the squirrel had been fed. Well, good-bye little fellow.

No comments: