Monday, November 5, 2007

We may be pregnant!


I am so excited! We have been waiting for one of the female dogs to come into heat. I have been privately disappointed about Mim because Deb and Charles had assured us that she would be coming into heat any time. Today I was petting her and for some reason got the urge to feel her tummy. Her teats feel like they are filling with milk. I think she is pregnant! It’s possible we missed the whole thing. She may not have spotted which was the first sign we were looking for. Since she and Merlin are together almost constantly, they could have mated during the night and we would have missed it. When they first got here, Merlin was trying to mount Mim every 5 minutes. In the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that the behavior has dropped off considerably. I want Sean and Shannon to feel her belly too to see if they think I might be right.

I finally took pictures of the baby squirrel. (It’s a good thing I started telling about the squirrel; I was supposed to be feeding it!) Its little tummy is so translucent that the formula I feed it is visible through the skin. It has a good appetite and eats well. It was actually digging its way out of the towels in its carrier when I went in to get it. I’m glad its fur is growing. It’s not quite so ugly now. Since Shannon was hand-raising a squirrel so recently, we still have baby cereal for when it is ready to start on something more solid. The more perishable foods like strained sweet potatos and apple sauce will need to be purchased when the time comes.

No comments: