Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Miss Kitty skips the rails


The new puppies are 5 days old now. It's amazing how fast they are growing. I haven't weighed them since Aug. 16. In just those 2 days they went from weighing between 5.4 oz. and 6 oz. to 6.5 oz. to 7.2 oz. Kitty isn't gaining any weight, the puppies are getting it all.

I think Kitty has skipped the rails because she gets stressed out easily. It only seems to be in the morning hours though. She will feed her babies and then get under my bed and dig on a plastic container. She sometimes vocalizes while she digs and I mean yodeling! At other times she will hear the babies cry out and runs over to them to bark as if to say "Shut up!" By the afternoon she is cuddling with them and nursing them. I took the picture of her and the pups around 3:00 pm. Maybe it's because they are afternoon babies.

When we all move upstairs, I am going to turn the office into a puppy nursery. It has a gate to protect the pups from the other dogs. I can also put a low fence across the doorway that will allow Kitty to escape from the puppies when it comes time to wean them. I like to start crate training the puppies at the age of 7 weeks and they will be far enough from my bedroom that they can yell all they want to and not bother me!

No comments: