Friday, August 29, 2008

Update on my dogs


I swear dogs will do anything to get something to eat. Winston has been helping me when I load the dishwasher. He starts “pre-cleaning” any dishes or utensils he can reach. Winston is a real champion at responding to a “leave it” command except when it comes to the dishwasher.

Winston has been getting accustomed to dealing with the newest dog, our Yorkie male Gus. My son and daughter-in-law will be moving in September and Winston and Gus are going with them to the new apartment. Usually Winston does not react well to dogs jumping on his back. He has figured out that Gus is just a baby (about 5 months old) and is not challenging him. The day will come when Winston will let Gus know the behavior will not be tolerated any more.

That will leave me with 6 dogs. Three Shih Tzus, a Yorkie, a Corgi and a beagle-dachshund mix. This bunch will be manageable for me since they fit in one room and are well behaved together outside. They do bark a lot. The Corgi is a barking machine! Kippy can bark non-stop for hours. It amazes me. The beagle-dachshund mix is also a barker. I can tell her voice because there is a distinct hound baying sound to it. The Yorkie, Raina, thinks she is queen of the yard. She thinks she is queen of everything. When there is something to bark about, she does it from the top of a tree stump. The Shih Tzus are much more easy-going and are usually playing around while the others are barking. I wish there were some way to translate the barks into English. Would Kippy be yelling “if you come near my yard, I will gnaw your ankles”? I guess in English her threats would not be as effective.

I will be glad to move back upstairs. Right now the new puppies are in my bedroom. I am very fatigued during the day and I wonder if it is that I am not sleeping well with the puppies near me. Upstairs I will be able to put the puppies and their mother in a room of their own, away from my bedroom! I may find out that I don’t sleep worrying if the puppies are alright. I may start spoiling my Yorkie again. Raina was accustomed to sleeping in my bed until I moved Kitty Cat into my room during her pregnancy. Since I will have a room set aside for the pregnant dog, Raina will be able to sleep with me all of the time.

I am going to end up being the weird lady with all of the dogs!

No comments: