Friday, July 6, 2007

Moody Raina


I guess pregnant dogs suffer hormonal changes just like humans. Yesterday Raina picked a fight with Kippy who is bigger than her. Of course when two dogs start fighting, they all get into the act. I found out about it when my daughter-in-law brought Raina downstairs to me.


I have been measuring Raina’s belly to check her progress. The first measurement of 14 inches was taken on June 26. On July 2 it was 14 ¾ inches. Today the measurement is 15 1/8 inches. I dug up an old stethoscope last night and was able to hear tiny, rapid heartbeats. I must sound like a nut. Who worries this much about their dog? Me, that’s who.



I took measurements on Penny and C.C. yesterday. They are both showing bulges in their bellies, so it looks like we will be having 3 litters.



We have had their whelping areas set up for a while now. My daughter-in-law is very excited too and bought the playpen for Penny months ago. The dogs are all sleeping in their individual whelping areas so that they will be acclimated. Shannon got some advice from a co-worker about the set up. To keep Penny and C.C. from seeing each other, a long dresser is sitting in the center of the room. In the wild, only the alpha female of the pack is permitted to reproduce. Domesticated dogs still carry some of that instinct and will fight if they are exposed to another female with puppies.



I need to get my whelping supplies together. I’ve read two books on the subject. One recommends cotton thread to tie umbilical cords. The other says to use dental floss and never use cotton thread since it will absorb moisture. I think I will use dental floss, but need to buy some since all I have is peppermint flavored. Raina’s first due date is July 21. That is 63 days from her first mating with Ray.



Speaking of Ray, we are looking for a good home for him. We had not planned to keep a stud dog. Buying Ray was the quick answer when the stud I had arranged was not available at the time. I personally prefer female dogs. Having an un-neutered male around is causing some friction with the other dogs. He needs to be in a home with not more than one other dog. He is very cuddly and loves to sit in my lap. When he is outside and hears my voice in the kitchen, he goes nuts scratching on the door. I think he will transfer his affection to another owner easily. I will miss him at first, but I think he will be happier in the long run.

No comments: