Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bambam is now Hobbes


Everyone asks me how I can let my puppies go. I do it very carefully and sadly. I like for the new families to have at least one dog already or have had one recently. That way I know that they understand the responsibility of being a pet parent. I know I have made a good decision if I get pictures, even if it is just a few or hear nothing at all. I would love to hear that my babies are thriving, but in this situation I believe that no news is good news.

I have had 2 puppies leave in as many days. I now have only a female Yorkie available. So that she would not be alone last night, I put her in the crate next to her father’s. She did not cry or fuss. This morning when I let her out, she ran to the nearest newspaper to urinate. Unfortunately the BM went on the floor. I think she wanted to be near me and I was in my bathroom. I don’t keep newspaper in my bedroom so that the dogs will not go there. I think Mouse just wanted to be able to see me and would have gone on newspaper if one had been available. I checked the crate she slept in and it is clean. I am so proud of Mouse!

How do I let them go? I know from the moment they are conceived I am responsible for babies that will bring joy to another family. I know that someone out there loves Yorkies or Shih Tzus or Maltese and wants to find a puppy they can afford to add to their family. Even though I am with the puppies from the moment they are born, I know I must detach at some point. That is why I give them nicknames. Nicknames are not permanent to me. Even though the pups may begin to respond to their nickname, dogs will adjust to a name change very easily. They attach to the person who feeds them, talks to them and plays with them. I think it is more recognition of the person’s voice. Wookie’s 4-week old puppies react to my voice already and will come to the gate on their room when I talk to them.

Dogs have been a loving and wonderful presence in my life since I met my first dog as a toddler. I got my first dog when I was 5. Casey was a family dog, but I always considered him my dog. I think he did too. There have been a few gaps without dogs, but I think the longest may have been 5 years. I started introducing my son to my dogs before he could walk. I started with him inside the house in a highchair where the dogs could see him. I moved the highchair outside and then moved my son to a playpen. Eventually my son crawled on the patio in a diaper while the dogs sniffed and licked him. Luckily I had captured that moment on a Super 8 movie camera. When my son graduated from college, I created a montage of his art that included that clip of him crawling with the dogs. When he got married in 2006 he and his wife included their Corgis in the ceremony. My daughter-in-law’s dream is to have her own dog training and pet boutique business. I hope she will realize that dream. She is very talented at training dogs. We are just a family of dog lovers.

No comments: