Thursday, October 25, 2007

The felines in our house

I have been trying to find a new home for my two cats for a couple of months. I hate to do it, but it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to care for them and give them the attention they deserve. When we still had puppies, Eliot spent most of the daylight hours sleeping. She loves to look out the window, but didn’t even do that. Harley started playing with the puppies when the number decreased to two. They are both urinating on the newspaper I was putting down for the puppies. I have to keep putting down the newspaper because of the cats. They still use the litterbox, but this new habit is making me nuts. Harley jumps up on me at the most inconvenient times and often scratches me. It’s a problem because I am allergic to their saliva and I have to take benedryl once or twice a day. Eliot is very demanding when she wants attention. She will get on my desk and push her head under my hand while I am trying to use the mouse. I just think the situation is not fair to them and would like to find someone who has more time for them.

In spite of my trying to get a new home for my cats, we have a “new“ cat in the house. My daughter-in-law’s parents have sold their home and don’t want to keep their cat in the camper they are using for living quarters until they build a new house. His name is “Not What”. It is very unusual and comes from a comment made by my DIL’s stepdad when she and her mother brought the cat home. He looked at the cat and said “that is not what I sent you to Walmart to buy”. The funny thing is that he is very attached to What. He is living upstairs with my son and DIL. They made room for him in my son’s office/studio. I went in to look for him last night and had to follow the rustling noises. He was on top of a bookcase. Fortunately What already knows me, so we had a very nice greeting. My Yorkie views the cat as something to bark at and looks for it every time she is upstairs. What is suppose to be with us until my DIL's parents have built their house. Of course my DIL is hoping they will decide to leave What here with us.

No comments: