Thursday, October 4, 2007

Scam Alert-please don't get taken

The old saying goes “a fool and his money are soon parted”. I got scammed last year trying to buy a Yorkshire Terrier puppy on the Internet. I learned the hard way never to wire money. There is no recourse to you as the victim as there would be if it were a credit card transaction. That is why I will not ask for money to be wired to me and I will not ship my puppies.

Tonight I received a call through the Relay system. It is used by hearing-impaired people to communicate by telephone. An operator speaks for them and types responses back. From that call I received an email address of a person supposedly interested in one of my puppies. When I got the return email the person is out-of-state and they will send me a money order or certified check. The payment would be in excess of the amount needed to pay for the puppy and shipping. The remaining amount I was to return to the purchaser by Western Union. Chances are the money order or check would be a phony. In the end, I would have been on the hook for the funds.

These people pull stuff like this just because they can. We just have to be smarter and question what seems too good to be true. Don’t wire money to anyone except family and never cash a money order or check for a stranger. There is another old saying: “fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me”. I just hope that I have made at least one person more wary.

No comments: