Monday, April 7, 2008

Almost Weaned!



I can claim that I have been too busy with the puppies to update the blog. They do take a lot of my day, but most of it just watching them play. They seem to have different biological clocks and nap at different times. If they are active at night I am not noticing, but then I might not notice a bomb going off.
I turned Raina into a burrito today. I don’t want the puppies to nurse anymore and she seems very willing to let them continue. So she is wrapped in an elastic bandage. I tried putting 2 shirts on her with one of them going over her back end, but the pups managed to nudge them aside. We will see how this works.



Two of the pups have learned to climb the steps for my bed. The orange female instinctively knew how to get down. The pink male fell off the first time. It didn’t stop him from climbing up again. I’ve tried showing him how to place his feet. I guess he will just figure it out for himself.
The orange female seems to be the dominant puppy. The other female, Gidget, is quiet and will stand off sometimes when the others are wrestling. All of them are very affectionate. The pink male is the most adventurous. He had been trying to figure out the steps for a week. I guess his legs just reached the right length yesterday. The green male sleeps the most and is the most willing to play by himself. I have seen him spent 20 minutes in the same basket with one toy. I think that toy will have to be his when he goes to a new home.


I may have to use earplugs tonight to fall asleep. I plan to separate the puppies for the first time tonight. Gidget’s family plans to have her sleep in a crate so each one will be in their own carrier tonight. I have bedding lying around on the floor for the puppies and Raina to put their scent on so that they will have that familiarity. I’ll line the floor of the carrier with newspaper so that they will have somewhere to potty. The carriers are large enough so that they will have bedding area and space to go potty without messing in their bed.

No comments: