Monday, January 5, 2009

Reggie's adventure in rodent control


It seems to be feast or famine with my blogging. Right after I published the puppy news, I remembered Reggie’s adventure the other day. Reggie is an aging beagle-dachshund mix. Food is the only motivator in her life. Well maybe some scratching is appreciated too.

The other day I was trying to nap. Raina was bothering me and I had finally gotten her to settle down. Then there was a strange noise. It was the crackling of plastic and Reggie making her “mooing” sound. When I got up Reggie had a mousetrap glue board stuck to her face, both front feet and a rear foot. All for a little dab of peanut butter! I thought we had removed the last of the glue boards. I have no idea where she found it.

I removed the glue board and cleaned Reggie off as best I could. I couldn’t think of anything non-toxic, so I risked a little nail polish remover. Fortunately Reggie didn’t suffer any ill effects from the polish remover. Later my son suggested vegetable oil which worked very well. Reggie managed to get the rest of the glue off, but did it by walking it off in every room in the house! After waiting a few days so that the dirt would show me where the glue was, I started cleaning with vegetable oil. It was a big hit with the dogs! They followed me and licked the floor where ever I had cleaned it. Wookie wanted to get the freshest oil so she was right with me. I had to push her head out of the way to clean. Now I just have to scrub the floors to clean up the oil the dogs missed. I wonder how I can get them to clean the bathtub?

No comments: