Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sick dogs are not fun or funny


Poor Wookie, I gave her something to eat yesterday that did not agree with her. I saw the diarrhea before I went to bed, but woke to Wookie barfing in my bedroom doorway at 4:30 a.m. I did some cleaning, but did go back to bed. It can really ruin a day by being awakened in that manner. Wookie was not eating or drinking by the time I got up at 8:00. I made a call to the vet and even though he was slammed with appointments. It appears that there was not bacteria in the food I gave Wookie, but we needed to make sure she would eat and not be sick. So one shot later and 3 prescriptions for home, I got Wookie to eat some boiled chicken and rice. If she were a kid, I would wonder about her faking it to get the chicken and rice. I am still tired since I didn’t get a nap and still had some cleaning to finish.

I didn’t have to take Wookie’s babies with her. They are 2 weeks old today and fat. They are so fat that some of them have rolls of it. One of them looks like Alfred Hitchcock to me. SHE may end up with the nickname Alfred or Hitch even though they are not very feminine. The nicknames have to be something that describes the puppy or they make me think of when I look at them. Hitch’s twin brother may be called Bear. He has a face like a baby bear. I try not to think to hard about the nicknames otherwise it is too difficult to remember them.

There are still 2 Yorkie puppies and 2 Shih Tzus here. The fear I have now is that I will become too attached to them. The last puppy from Raina’s first litter was here for a while and I called him “Little Man”. The day he left, I was so devastated that I cried for 2 hours. I almost called the man to tell him to return my puppy! Only my logical side stopped me. I try very hard now not to become attached. I have enough dogs that I am attached to, like Wookie and Raina. Right now I am not sure how attached I am to Gus.

Squirrel is in heat and Gus is in lust. He did manage to mate with her once. I have kept them apart since then. There have been several matings with Moose. Now the question is will she have all pure Maltese puppies or Maltese and a few Morkies? At least it will make the birth even more interesting since there is the possibility of surprise.

No comments: