Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Winter is still here!




Snow is rare in Georgia which is why I moved here from Ohio 30 years ago. At least here people stay home and I don't have to dig my car out every morning. The dogs enjoy the snow so of course they had to go out for a short play. Squirrel disappears in the snow with her white coat. The play session didn't last long. After all they are southern dogs. Fortunately this all took place before the pregnant girls had their bellies shaved.

We are getting ready for 3 deliveries. Unless we have a false pregnancy, it looks like Kitty, Raina and Squirrel are pregnant. Kitty's first due date is March 18, Raina is due March 21 and Squirrel is due March 25. My daughter-in-law shaved their bellies and "toots" for the sake of nursing puppies and hygiene. I have one whelping box in place and cleaned. The other needs to be brought up from the garage. One dog will have to give birth in the living room! Some time after the 14th we will be making a trip to the vet for x-rays. I feel more secure about safe deliveries when we know how many pups are coming. I have all of my supplies in one place. I need to cut down some of the colored neckbands for the puppies. Yorkie puppies all look alike and I assume the Maltese will look alike too. Shih Tzus are much more interesting in all of their colors and markings.

These days when people ask me what I do, I don't say that I am a retired systems analyst. I am now the caregiver, housekeeper and midwife to a pack of dogs that allow me to live with them!

No comments: